When you either have diabetes or know someone who has it, you should be aware of Emergency Procedures for Diabetes. When you have recognized that the person is having a diabetic emergency, you have to make them consume something that contains sugar, preferably in liquid forms like juice, soda, or water mixed with sugar. But if no liquid form of sugar is available, sweets or candy is another good choice. As soon as they start improving, then give something with sugar as far as drinks and food go.
Then they should take it easy and try to relax. Help them use it to check their blood sugars, if they have happen to have their blood sugar testing kit with them. Do not go far from them until they feel completely better!
Diabetic Emergency Procedures
An emergency event can occur when a person does not know that he or she is diabetic. Such a person is at high risk when symptoms become overwhelming. There is an additional problem of low blood sugar, the complete opposite of what diabetes mellitus is.
If you have signs and symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperglycemic hyperosmolar state, you may be admitted to the hospital and be treated in the emergency room. Emergency treatment as such can lower your blood sugar to a normal range.
High blood sugar usually comes on slowly especially when blood sugar is too high. Your blood sugar gets to a higher level when there isn’t sufficient insulin in the body. High blood sugar can also occur if you forget to take your diabetes medicine, if you eat too much, or when you do not get enough exercise. Drugs that you take for other problems may cause high blood sugar sometimes. It’s crucial to be aware of your medications!
Diabetes has been characterized as a condition that shortens the life expectancy. New studies have shown that diabetes cuts off an average of 8.5 years from the lifespan of a 50-year-old man with diabetes as compared to the one without diabetes. The research also shows that older adults with diabetes have a lower life expectancy at every age compared to people who do not have the disease.
So the best thing you can do is try and be aware of your lifestyle early on in life and not to get into unhealthy eating habits that can bring on type 2 diabetes. This way you won’t ever have to worry about being concerned about a diabetic emergency!
The Diabetic Emergency of Two Types:
Hyperglycemia: This occurs when there is not enough insulin in the body and too much glucose in the blood. It occurs as a result of eating more than you should, no physical activity, and when the improper amount of insulin is taken. This singular can lead to diabetic coma and in such scenario, the person is in need of insulin. I’m sure that you are aware of this, but it’s important to note regardless!
Hypoglycemia: This also reveals itself when the insulin in the body is too much and not enough glucose, which can lead to insulin shock. Such a condition is closely related to the excessive amount of exercise, not eating enough, and injecting too much insulin. In this circumstance, such a person is in need of sugar!
The two types of diabetic emergency measures are the same as far as getting medical help by calling 911 immediately for either situation! But if the person is conscious, getting them something to eat or drink, such as orange juice, milk, or a candy bar will help reduce symptoms for hypoglycemia. The next step is to get medical help as quickly as possible. That’s why it’s important to know about diabetic emergency symptoms whether you or someone else is a diabetic!
But the most common diabetic emergency is hyperglycemia, which can lead to an emergency condition called diabetic ketoacidosis. It usually occurs to people with type 1 diabetes. It causes a condition called nonketotic hyperosmolar syndrome which is common in people with type 2 diabetes. Either way, it’s serious stuff and you should know as much about it as possible!
Early Signs of Diabetic Emergency: (Take note of these in your brain!)
- Elevated urinary output: This occurs due to raised glucose levels and the body’s attempt to get rid of it.
- Excessive thirst: This happens due to the frequent urination, causing you dehydration
- Impaired vision: Your vision may be blurred due damage to the ocular vascular system
- Feelings of hunger: This is caused by excessive insulin that is not being used properly
- Lethargy: This is also related to the elevated glucose levels
Others are erectile dysfunction, frequent bacterial and fungal infections slow-healing wounds, among others.
When you start seeing these signs and symptoms, a thorough medical examination is the next step to determine the cause.
When your blood sugar is too high, you will be very thirsty and tired and have blurry vision, you are losing weight fast, and have to go to the bathroom often. Very high blood sugar may make you lose too much fluid from your body, feel sick in your stomach, faint, or throw up.
Please Watch the Video Below Because it’s Important!
↓ ↓ ↓
Procedures for Testing Include:
When testing blood glucose, the normal value for glucose is around 110 mg/dl. A reading of 126 mg/dl or more is a revelation of diabetes. When you test yourself in two different occasions and notice that your blood sugars are high, the diagnosis is most likely diabetes.
Other testing includes:
A Fasting Plasma Glucose
An Oral Glucose Tolerance Test
A Random Plasma Glucose Test – It does not involve fasting.
For most tests to be carried out, you will involve in fasting for 8 hours as eating a meal increases glucose.
Signs of a Diabetic Emergency
The signs include:
- Feeling sick
- Headache and/or dizziness
- Any change when it comes to being conscious or not
- Mood changes
- Rapid pulse and pulse
- Different levels of being confused
Consequently, to get a true reading, the patient can’t eat for 8 hours before the test.
There are easy ways to bring blood sugar down quickly or lower blood sugar levels naturally, which includes;
- Exercise on a regular basis
- Be sure to up your intake of fiber
- Stay away from dehydration by drinking plenty of water
- Monitor blood glucose levels
- Apply Portion Control.
- Low Glycemic Index. foods only
- Stress Levels must be managed
- Control your intake of carbohydrates
There are foods that control and lower blood sugar quickly. They include:
- Raw, cooked and/or roasted vegetables.
- Take varieties of green leaves, salad inclusive.
- Flavorful, low-calorie drinks.
- Melon or berries.
- Whole-grain, Higher-fiber foods.
- A little fat.
- Monitor blood sugar levels closely.
- Reduce carbohydrate intake.
- Eat the right carbohydrates.
- Choose low glycemic index foods.
- Increase dietary fiber intake.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Control portion size.
There are also foods to stay away from if you are borderline diabetic. You should not be drinking any sodas, diet or not, and avoid processed foods as well. Make the healthier choices by sticking with lean meats, whole grains, low-fat dairy, vegetables and fruits, lean meats, and healthy fats like olive oil and avocado, Make it a point that you get at least 30 minutes of exercise every day! More than that and seven days a week is even more ideal!
Foods Diabetics Should Avoid
It’s important to avoid the foods listed below.
- Sugary beverages are not good for someone with diabetes.
- Trans Fats.
- White Bread, Pasta and Rice.
- Fruit-Flavored Yogurt.
- Breakfast Cereals that have sugar or are sweetened
- Coffee Drinks with flavors
- Nectar, agave, maple syrup and honey
- Dried Fruit.
Drinking water can lower blood sugar levels by diluting the amount of glucose in the bloodstream. In addition, it reduces insulin resistance and helps a person reduce hunger. And of course water is essential for anyone to survive.
Children at School
In a related development, your diabetic child needs to be prepared for a school emergency. Thus, parents must consider whether their diabetic child is properly prepared for a crisis. An inspection of your child’s school emergency plan may be a good way of supporting your child.
Most schools follow a general guide and then tailor it to their specific needs. Depending on the type of emergency, school and classroom doors may be locked, all children are most likely to be lead to the cafeteria or gymnasium. This is where the majority of schools stage their emergency stations.
A program called Helping Administer to the Needs of The Student with Diabetes at School (H.A.N.D.S.) was created by the National Association of School Nurses. The program addresses how to handle the emergency situation of a child in such situations. These emergency plans may be dangerous if your child is locked in a classroom for a length of time. When such is the case of a child with diabetes, emotional distress alone may impact your child’s blood sugar in such circumstances.
Nevertheless, diabetes in the workplace should be disclosed for the safety of the employee and for other employees. Doing factory work may be compromised if the employee with diabetes does not control their blood sugars. There should be diabetic awareness campaign, to enable employees have information regarding diabetes, so they will be helpful if an emergency or semi-emergency arises while the diabetic is in the workplace.
Simple procedures can ensure minimal risk of having low and high blood sugars. Simple glucose tablets should be made available at all times. There should be fruit juice and crackers or snacks as well. It is important to allow diabetic employees to test their blood sugar at regular intervals and to treat either a low or high blood sugar.
If diabetic workers are not on an insulin pump, they will most likely have to take injections usually several a day to control their blood sugar. A little bit of understanding and knowledge of diabetes will go a long way in enhancing the performance of the diabetic employee!
Having an insulin pump most at times is helpful. An insulin pump is a delivering device that is used by some people with diabetes. It is a small battery-operated device that can be worn on a belt or put in a pocket and capable of administering minute amounts of insulin, linked to a narrow plastic tube that is inserted directly under the skin.
The insulin is delivered approximately every ten minutes continuously throughout the 24 hour period, and also additional insulin may be taken prior or after meals.
Emergency Procedures for Diabetes are extremely important because time is of the essence once the untimely event occurs. The more you know in advance, the better the situation will be for you or another diabetic person. Please do not push this off as something that isn’t a health emergency because if and when it does happen, you’ll know what to do!
Check Out Below the Best Way
to Lower Your Blood Sugar Fast!
Please share on social media below and forward this to others who need help and please leave any questions or comments you may have below. I would love to interact with you. Thank you for reading and I appreciate it!
- Dr. Marlene Merritt (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 100 Pages - 10/22/2021 (Publication Date) - Primal Health, LP (Publisher)
- Advanced Glucometer Kit: metene TD-4116 diabetes testing kit is equipped with advanced technologies, bring more accurate and reliable results and better experience for your blood sugar control; a control solution is included for checking the glucometer and strips
- Easy to Use: The blood glucose monitor is with code-free design, ready for testing once insert the strip correctly; the quick guide inside the package lists the steps to do a test clearly, easy to follow; any problem about operation, we are here ready to answer and provide glucose monitoring system instructional videos
- 7 Seconds And 0.7µl Blood: This blood glucose meter kit just need 0.7 microliter blood sample and 7 seconds to get you blood glucose value; Fast, minimize wound and less painful
- More Clearly Glucose Trend: 4 modes to record your glucose value according to different time, shows your glucose trend more clearly; 450 blood sugar values storage, continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average, which bring more convenient Diabetes management for you and your health provider
- User-friendly for The Aged: 4 reminder alarms could be set everyday to remind the aged to do a test in time, considerate; the display is more large than most glucose monitors, showing the results more clearly, easier to read for the aged
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- FULL SPECTRUM OF BENEFITS TO PEOPLE WITH BLOOD SUGAR CONCERNS: (1) Promotes normal blood sugar levels, (2) Promotes weight loss, (3) Reduces absorption of sugars & other carbohydrates, (4) Promotes healthy insulin sensitivity & production, (5) Promotes healthy cholesterol, heart, blood vessels & circulation, and (6) Promotes healthy energy.
- HOW GLUCOCIL WORKS: Not many people know that there are 3 Essentials for keeping your blood sugar normal: (1) Reduce sugar absorption from food, (2) Reduce the liver’s sugar production, and (3) Increase the body’s use of sugar for energy. Target any one of the 3 Essentials and you'll improve your blood sugar levels. But target all 3 Essentials together, and you'll help keep your levels within the normal range. ONLY GLUCOCIL TARGETS ALL 3 ESSENTIALS FOR NORMAL BLOOD SUGAR.
- EXTRA STRENGTH SOFTGELS (*2,250mg OF ACTIVE INGREDIENTS PER SERVING): Doctor formulated, proprietary blood glucose management blend, 14 clinically researched ingredients based on more than 100 published research studies, including human clinical studies on Glucocil's proprietary mulberry leaf extract, which was shown to instantly lower peak post-meal elevations by up to 44%.
- OVER 1 MILLION BOTTLES SOLD: The Simple Secret of Targeting All 3 Essentials for Normal Blood Sugar + Support Overall Wellness for Enjoying Life More, since 2008, made in a registered GMP facility in USA, 100,000+ Facebook fans.
- DIRECTIONS: For the first 3 days, take 1 softgel with lunch and 1 softgel with dinner. After 3 days, take 2 softgels with lunch and 2 softgels with dinner. As with any nutritional supplement, talk with your doctor before using Glucocil.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
Last update on 2021-10-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API