Diabetes is a serious condition and can affect you in so many ways including your moods. Does Type 2 Diabetes Cause Mood Swings? So much has to do with your diet, but then again doesn’t everything seem to be that way? Having diabetes it’s always about checking your blood sugar levels constantly. And that can affect your mood for sure.
Why do you Feel Moody when you’re a Diabetic?
Stress levels are associated with controlling your diabetes because let’s face it stress affects everything we do. It affects our moods for sure and it’s apparent to the people around us when it happens. Nobody likes going through mood changes and nobody likes having diabetes either.
Diabetes can be a killer with the side effects that it contributes to your moodiness and mood changes all the time. And it’s particularly hard on the people we care about as far as friends and family.
Having your blood sugars bouncing up and down and all over the place causes anxiety, nervousness, and confusion to say the least. That’s not healthy.
Tips to Control Your Blood Sugar and Mood Swings
So having diabetes is stressful enough, now you have to be very aware of what you’re eating and your diet. One is hard enough without the other, right? Who needs both? Maybe one day you’re checking your blood sugar for the hundredth time and it just gets to you and turns your mood bad and ruins your day. The moodiness sets in and can last for who knows how long.
You can become very irritable and sad especially when you’re hypoglycemic and your blood sugars become dangerously low. You can also become confused when you’re hyperglycemic, usually more when you’re type 1 diabetic as opposed to type 2 diabetic. You’re more likely to experience depression and anxiety from roller coaster blood glucose readings.
Now, symptoms can disappear once your blood sugars return to normal. When you have changes in your mental status and your mood, it can be a red flag that your blood sugars are not in the normal range. Some folks may have symptoms that are not critical enough to warrant a diagnosis of a mental illness. But the issue is that if you have diabetes it can have a huge effect on your life.
It’s not an easy task to stick to a regular healthy diet sometimes but in order to help control your weight and your diabetes, it’s a necessity. Blood sugar levels can be more manageable if you eat at regular intervals and maintain the same portion sizes as well.
If you get used to eating at the same times with the same sized portions, then you are less likely to spike your sugar levels and curb your hunger pains and this will help with any moodiness that can result from not following these tasks.
Exercise is always a big part of being healthy and controlling your diabetes, your weight, and ultimately your moods. It’s a good idea to check your sugars before and after exercising. If you happen to be down in the dumps, feeling low, or just going through moodiness, then exercise will help you with dealing with these moods.
The exercise helps to “work it off.” And when your exercise is finished you’ll feel much better and your sugars will be lower too.
If you are currently taking medications, then you should be taking them religiously when you’re supposed to be and at the same time checking your blood glucose levels. This helps to ensure that your levels are in the normal range and that your moods are in the good mode.
If you decide to make changes, even the smallest change can have a big effect on your diabetes, your health, and your chances of going through those “moodiness periods.”
It’s important and beneficial for you to join some sort of diabetes self management program to help you in learning how to become healthier and maintain a healthy weight which will also help in controlling your blood sugar and diabetes.
Having a support network that is strong and there for you is wonderful, but you can also reach out to friends and family for help too. It can help prevent you from going through so much moodiness related to your diabetes.
Check Out this Very Interesting Video Below about Diabetes & Mood Swings
Helping Others with Coping with Moods From Diabetes
Whether you are a diabetic or not you can help others with coping with diabetes and mood swings especially if you’ve gone through it yourself. As long as you understand why someone is experiencing moodiness from diabetes is a huge benefit in helping them. You can sit down and talk and ask them if there is anything that you can do to help them. Just having someone there for them is a huge plus!
Joining an activity together such as yoga, or an exercise or craft class, or whatever your interests may be can keep them busy and active and help them have a better frame of mind to avoid the negative moods and at the same time help in lowering theirs and your blood sugar too.
Talking to and supporting someone with diabetes can be a tremendous help with anxieties, mood swings, and fears that come from their diabetes condition.
This works both ways too. Someone could be the one helping you too. It’s always better to go through this with others than by yourself. Together you can make decisions as to whether a visit to the doctor is required and what for.
Diabetes and blood sugars can wreak havoc on your body and your mind. When the mood swings are happening you want to be on top of them if they are related to the diabetes.
More Facts About Diabetes Taking a Toll on Your Emotions
While type 1 and type 2 diabetes affect your physical health, it also affects your mental health in many ways. Many folks may not realize that they become moody for different reasons.
And they may not even attribute diabetes as one of if not the main reason. It can sneak up on you and before you know it, you’ve exploded!
And it’s not always just a bad mood, it can be a depressed state that you go into. 25% of people with diabetes, type 1 or type 2, develop long term symptoms of depression.
It really affects your life because it can involve so many different emotional changes such as a low concentration level, feeling guilty, being sad, lacking energy, being bored, feeling like you’re worthless, and having changes in your appetite and your sleep patterns.
These can happen gradually or just happen all of the sudden and either way they can remain for quite some time. This would be the time to consult a professional because when you have depression that isn’t going away, it makes it much harder to control your blood sugars and it is linked to having worsened complications from diabetes and in turn outcomes that are horrible. A professional can help with therapy and possible medications.
There is something called glycemic variability which is blood sugar levels that are constantly changing. This causes significant changes in your mood and affects your quality of life. So it’s obviously majorly important to control your blood sugar levels. You don’t need and don’t want to experience any negative moods or emotions.
Want to Lower Your Blood Sugar?
See the one supplement that works
11 Coping Strategies for Moodiness
It’s vital that you stick to a regular schedule in order to control any moodiness or mood swings. You want to run your errands, eat your meals, exercise, pay bills, take medications, etc on or about the same time every day if possible. This helps in controlling mood swings because people who are bipolar do not adapt well to changes.
2) Write it Down
I am a stickler for this. How long does it take to write something down so that you don’t forget it? Making notes of meetings, events, appointments and keeping track of everything you do can help you in preventing and triggering moodiness.
3) Keep Moving
Again, exercise of any kind is a huge help in avoiding changes in your moods. You don’t have to run a marathon everyday. Begin slowly with short walks as much as you can and try to get in at least some exercise most days of the week. Shoot for 30 minutes every day!
Try and avoid things like alcohol, caffeine, and drugs. If you don’t want to be kept up at night and have bad maniacal experiences then cut back or cut out sodas and coffee especially too close to bedtime. And drugs and alcohol may have effects on how your medications work and this can trigger a mood episode so be careful.
You want to have great sleeping habits so that you will wake up relaxed and refreshed and will avoid any moodiness. Relax before bedtime by listening to soft music, taking a warm bath, or reading a book. Make sure your bedroom is dark and quiet and that you wind down before sleep time.
This is the big one. Stress is a killer and you need to avoid it like the plague. It’s the most influential factor when it comes to your moods and especially if your blood sugars are out of whack.
7) Healthy Fats
8) Avoid Sugars
Sugar is the enemy no matter how you look at it. It’s the worst thing that you can feed your body because it sends your glucose levels on the up and down roller coaster ride. This is going to put you in mood change mode big time and fast!
9) Caution on the Wheat
Whether or not you have an issue with gluten, you should still be careful with wheat. Wheat has a high glycemic index score. Just two slices of wheat bread will raise your blood sugar levels just as much as having one candy bar! YIKES! Be careful!
10) Fish Oil
Fish oil supplements are a great way to manage your moods. The Omega 3 fatty acids are very healthy and beneficial.
11) Additional Supplements
The bottom line with any supplements or anything to do with your health and any changes that you are making should be discussed with your doctor.
The information that I provide on my website is purely based on my own personal experience and subsequent research into the diabetes disease. It is not intended to take the place of medical advice,diagnosis and treatment. Care and investigation should always be sought from an appropriate health care provider. I am happy to discuss my own symptoms, diagnosis and history of my diabetes disease but want to stress that I am not medically trained in any way. All opinions on my website are my own. I have created this site as a way to share information and experiences.
Recently Diagnosed with Diabetes?
SEE THE PRODUCTS YOU NEED TO GET STARTED
Does Type 2 Diabetes Cause Mood Swings? Moodiness can be a problem, but if it’s brought on by diabetes and uncontrollable blood sugars, then you have options to get it under control. I hope that you have learned something here 🙂
Want to Lower Your Blood Sugar?
See the one supplement that works
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API