Dizziness is something that is fairly common and maybe not often serious. But Does Type 2 Diabetes Cause Dizziness? It’s important to discover if indeed it’s the diabetes that is the cause. But of course there are times when it might be very serious and the key is to knowing how to treat and prevent it. Anything that is diabetes related is serious and that is something to address right away.
What are the Causes & Treatments for Dizziness?
One of the most important things when it comes to dizziness is to be aware that at any time a dizzy episode strikes that it can be related to diabetes. It’s not a pleasant feeling at all and can be very scary to experience.
It can stop you in your tracks immediately and prevent you from doing any daily tasks that you are used to doing comfortably.
Dizziness alone is frightening but not knowing what is causing it makes it even worse. Being dizzy is actually an episode of being unbalanced and an unsteadiness that affects your ears or brain. While it can be a variety of causes and I think it’s important to let you know what those causes are, the first and foremost are possible causes of dizziness coming from diabetes are my priority here.
Possible Causes of Dizziness From Diabetes
Hyperglycemia which is high levels of blood sugar that can cause the passing of an abnormal amount of urine that is undiluted out of your body in an attempt to remove the excess glucose. Now if you have a low level of water in your body (dehydration) then your brain may have a difficult time in trying to function properly and this can cause dizziness or lightheadedness.
Low Blood Pressure
If your heart is unable to pump blood up to your brain sufficiently, then this is low blood pressure that can cause dizziness. This is especially the case when trying to get up suddenly from a laying down or sitting position. The result is either a “spinning” sensation, being unsteady, or even fainting spell from your blood not being able to reach your brain momentarily.
Low Blood Sugar
This can be very serious. Hypoglycemia can cause dizziness by causing your brain cells to temporarily malfunction. It’s always vital to check your blood sugar because you don’t want it too high but especially don’t want it too low either because that can be life threatening.
There are certain medications prescribed for diabetes that can cause dizziness. Usually the side effects will be listed on the medication instruction paper that comes with it. But you also want to be sure that anything else such as supplements that you may be taking to clash with your diabetes or any other medication that might possibly give you dizziness.
One or so dizzy spells probably doesn’t need a call to your doctor. But suffering consistent bouts of dizziness require seeing your doctor. Make sure you have a record of when the dizzy spells occur and what the actual feelings and patterns may have been.
I want to mention about hypoglycemia because it’s very important. The best thing that you can do is to check your blood sugars regularly. You want your blood sugars no lower than 70 mg/dL. Now while a high glucose reading is not good, a low reading can have very serious and life threatening effects. Dizziness can be one of the effects that may not be as serious but nonetheless, it’s still a concern.
Possible symptoms can be:
- Dizziness and lightheadedness
- Blurred vision
- Irregular heartbeat
- Having the sweats
Watch this Important Video about Diabetic Dizzy Spells
I would also like to tell you more about hyperglycemia too. High blood sugar is just so unhealthy and again your blood glucose levels must be controlled. You want your blood sugars to be no higher than 180 mg/dL.
Early hyperglycemia symptoms are:
- Weight loss
- Increased urination
- Difficulty with concentrating
- Increased hunger
- Increased thirst
Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy
Diabetic autonomic neuropathy happens to be a common diabetes complication that unfortunately can affect any systems or organs in your body. Dizziness is just one of many of the symptoms that are related to this condition. But this can also affect your stomach leading to bloating and vomiting.
It basically affects the autonomic nerves which are the nerves that control your bladder and other organs and your genital areas. It can affect your bladder and also cause erectile dysfunction as well.
Other organs that can be affected by diabetic autonomic neuropathy can be your eyes and your heart. You certainly do not want this to happen. Another reason that this condition is especially serious is because it can affect the way that your body is responding to low blood glucose. So if this is the case and you are not getting the early warning signs of low blood sugar, then this can be dangerous.
Appointment for Your Doctor
If you are not already seeing your doctor with regards to diabetes and/or dizziness then now may be the time to do so. Diabetes dizziness is absolutely nothing to ignore. You want to get everything in order with diabetes and keep it that way. It’s the physician’s call with regards to your diabetes plan with diet and exercise and medications.
He or she may just guide you to a lifestyle change and make changes to your medications but you want to be sure that any dizziness is addressed and hopefully not happening as a result of your diabetes. You want to rule out any alcohol or a warm or hot room to your dizziness.
10 Ways for Preventing and Treating Dizziness
1) Proper Diet
You should be following a high fiber diet and dies that is well balanced so that you get all the proper vitamins and nutrients that your body requires. Unhealthy eating and excess eating can really do a number on your blood sugar levels. Taking the right medications and following your doctor’s orders are a step in the right direction too. It’s just common sense and good practice to avoid salt, carbohydrates, and sugar.
2) Blood Sugar Levels
Checking your blood sugar levels is vital. This is also to avoid nausea and dizziness. You want to prevent rather than have to treat and cure. One of the best ways to do this is with exercise. This will help to control your blood sugar levels and at the same time it will help prevent dizziness too. Always keep moving.
3) Stay Hydrated
Know the signs of dehydration. For me one way I know that I’m dehydrated is that I get cramps in my legs. Ouch! Six to eight glasses of water a day is what you should require. Make sure that you don’t become dehydrated for many other reasons as well.
4) Blood Test
You may need to have a blood test to determine if you have an iron deficiency and anemia. This can be a factor in dizziness and possible falls. The best foods that contain iron for you, are kidney beans, liver, dark green leafy vegetables, and lentils.
5) Sawing the Wood
There are many different things that can cause sleep issues. If you’re taking too much medication, have pain, restless leg syndrome, anxiety, excess caffeine, or sleep apnea, then these can lead to lack of sleep or dizziness.
Sleep is obviously important and without the proper amount, your health suffers big time. So wind down at night, go to sleep at the same time each night, make sure your bedroom is dark and quiet and relax your mind. This can help you so that you are not sleep deprived and possibly dizzy.
6) Eat Something Fast
This is for when your blood sugar is low and you’re experiencing dizziness. Once you begin to feel dizzy it’s time to eat something quick to help the situation. Being hunger can increase your chances of feeling dizzy so don’t go for long time periods without eating especially if you are already prone to dizziness.
7) Apple Cider Vinegar
There have been many studies done that show how beneficial apple cider vinegar is for you. This helps with helping to avoid the ups and downs that lead to dizziness.
You only have to mix a tablespoon with water. Apple cider vinegar can do wonders for you. It really helps to lower your blood sugar as well.
8) Gingo Biloba
Gingo biloba can be responsible for keeping your mind razor sharp. Traditional Chinese medicine uses it to treat dizziness because they believe that it increases blood flow and circulation to your brain.
I love massages and they are so good for your body. Having your body’s pressure points massaged can be very helpful for dizziness. So because having feelings of anxiety can set off dizzy spells, any relaxing treatments can promote a feeling of calmness with regards to any dizziness.
10) Vitamin C
Foods rich in vitamin C are great for dizziness. Research was performed that revealed that people suffering from dizziness and vertigo had much fewer symptoms when they were following a diet high in vitamin C. Make sure you get enough vitamin C.
Does Type 2 Diabetes Cause Dizziness? Dizziness can be frightening, but knowing what causes it is half the battle. You want to especially keep an eye on your sugar and keep those numbers under control. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below.
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API