Does Baking Soda Help Diabetes?
Baking soda is just about the most used product used in baked goods. Sodium bicarbonate, which is its technical name for the chemical compound that it is, (in nature form) is found in crystalline and then ground into a fine powder used in cooking. Baking soda not only is helpful for diabetes, but extremely beneficial in so many other ways.
It is found in many homes today and is very inexpensive to buy. I want to discuss how baking soda helps with diabetes but I will also cover all the other benefits it provides, not only for health, but tips not relating to health because you should know everything that it is beneficial for.
So to reiterate, baking soda is also known as sodium bicarbonate. It does not contain any ingredients mixed in it. Diabetes as we know, is when your body isn’t producing enough insulin. Baking soda is known to play a huge role in slowing the progress of chronic kidney disease.
Studies have been done that show that baking soda can be your first line of defense against and in controlling your diabetes. Many expert doctors may suggest the use of baking soda against diabetes in various ways. but this is something that you would want to discuss with your personal doctor first. Baking soda is safe to use in many ways, but I always discuss everything with my doctor first before I do anything.
This is one of the best baking sodas you can safely mix and drink to help you fight diabetes. Just click the link below for your baking soda:
What the baking soda does is to work on the acid condition in your body and help to control and return it to normal again and at the same time fight in the diminishing of diabetes. While there are many ways to use and administer baking soda, orally or otherwise, your doctor should always be the one who decides ultimately what’s best for you.
People with diabetes who have a condition known as “Diabetic ketoacidosis,” are more at risk of developing something called, “mucormycosis” which is a fungal infection that is rare. Researchers suggest that baking soda could prevent this infection from spreading. They suggest that patients with mucormycosis benefit from adding sodium bicarbonate to the particular area regardless of whether or not it’s serious acidosis because by adding it, there is a strong likelihood that it will stop the growth of the fungus. Thumbs up on baking soda!
This condition which is known as DKA is very serious because it means that your blood sugar levels are so high that your body begins to run out of insulin. This is NOT GOOD! You could go into a coma or it might even mean death!
Health Benefits of Baking Soda
* Your feet- Soaking your feet in water with baking soda is excellent for your feet! It will help protect your feet from infections and odors. It inhibits fungal, yeast, and bacterial growth on your feet. Just take 3 tablespoons of baking soda and mix in a small basin of warm water and soak for 30 minutes and just feel the results! I love it!
* Your breath- Since you have so many germs and bacteria in your mouth, they can cause bad breath. Mixing one teaspoon with a glass of water and rinsing your mouth out with it, can neutralize the bad odors and freshen your breath. Your mouth will feel so much better and you won’t have to be concerned about did you do enough in brushing and flossing. This will help you if you missed anything.
* Toothpaste- There are folks out there who actually use baking soda as a toothpaste. I personally think that this is too abrasive or your teeth for everyday use. It’s good for using occasionally as it helps to brighten and whiten your teeth. It is great for removing plaque as well. Arm and Hammer even makes a baking soda toothpaste! I use both so I got my teeth covered! Your mouth feels so clean.
* Heartburn- So I’m sure that you’ve heard of or experienced heartburn or acid reflux before. It’s a horrible burning sensation coming up from the upper area of your stomach up into your throat. The cause comes from the acid refluxing out of your stomach and up through your esophagus. Some of the more common reasons for this are eating spicy foods, being overly stressed out, or overeating. Baking soda can help treat this condition with one teaspoon in a glass of water and drink slowly.
* Deodorant- It’s not your sweat that has an odor, at least not initially. Your armpits are the culprits that break down the bacteria and convert it into waste products that are acidic and give off the odor. What baking soda does is help to make the sweat less acidic, thus reducing the odor. You can give it a try but putting some baking soda on your armpits and see if you experience a difference.
* UTI’s- You can help lessen your chances of a urinary tract infection with a mixture of baking soda and water. This will help decrease the levels of acid in your urine. FYI? Cranberry juice and plenty of water are other solutions in preventing urinary tract infections from recurring.
* Skin treatments- Baking soda can treat various skin issues. A mixture of baking soda and water to use as a paste will help for insect bites and itches. Sunburn? Ouch! I’ve been there and never again. (hopefully) You can add about half a cup of baking soda in warm bath water to help soothe you. A tablespoon added to water and soak two times a day will help if you have a splinter.
* Joints and gout- If you’ve got pain from issues such as arthritis or gout from high levels of uric acid in your blood and tissues, then look no further. Baking soda is perfect to treat these painful diseases because it reduces this type of acid and neutralizes the pH of your blood. It’s a great solution for joint pain.
* Cancer- Studies have been done in animals that show that raising bicarbonate levels in the diet can increase the actual pH of tumors that are acidic without affecting the pH of the healthy tissues and blood. This is a solution that sodium bicarbonate makes tumors more alkaline.
* Natural alkalizer- No matter what particular diet you be eating, there’s always a chance that you’re generating acid in your body. Baking soda is a natural remedy for neutralizing the acid effect and creating a more alkaline effect to balance your pH level. This will improve your health and lessen your risk of cancer, arthritis, and osteoporosis.
* Kidneys- An alkaline substance, bicarbonate helps keep a pH balance and protects acids and it’s produced naturally in your body. If you’re a person with diabetes or high blood pressure, your kidneys may have a difficult time functioning and having a hard time removing acid from your body. This is known as metabolic acidosis.
Researchers treated patients with this condition with baking soda for two years. The results were phenomenal as it slowed the speed of the poor kidney function by 66% and only small percentage required dialysis at the conclusion of the study. That’s an extremely positive outcome for the kidneys!
* Canker sores- I absolutely hate these things! They are small painful ulcers inside your mouth. Although they are not contagious, they are painful and annoying. Making a baking soda mouthwash can remedy this situation and I love how good it works!
* Pimples and acne- Pimples and acne are not just unsightly, but annoying. Baking soda helps treat them and decrease the breakouts and symptoms of acne with its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. It helps to balance the pH of your skin so what not give it a try? It works!
* Swelling- Getting stung by a bee or a wasp is another unfortunate situation. You experience pain and swelling. Sodium bicarbonate and water will relieve the pain and swelling. Mom knew best when I had this happen! Thanks Mom!
Other Non-Health Tips For Sodium Bicarbonate
* Combs and brushes- You can remove all of the oils that build up and the remainders left on your brushes and combs by soaking them in a mixture of baking soda and water. Then rinse them off and dry. Nice and clean and ready for the next use!
* The fridge- I don’t know about you, but I’ve been doing this with my own fridge ever since my mom used to do it when I was a kid. An open box of baking soda in the back of the fridge neutralizes the odors. It works wonders as long as you change the box every couple or few months or so.
* Your hands- Ever get strong smells on your hands and try washing them to get rid of the smell but to no avail? All you have to do is wash with baking soda and water and voila! The smell is gone!
Sodium Bicarbonate Warnings
You should consult your physician about taking sodium bicarbonate but especially if you have any of the following conditions:
- Kidney problems
- Allergies to sodium bicarbonate
- Congestive heart failure
- Any abnormal levels of potassium, calcium, sodium, or chlorine
Sodium bicarbonate side effects
Arm and Hammer has always been the best baking soda on the planet. Get yours now below!
My Final Thoughts
In the end, does baking soda help diabetes? Baking soda AKA sodium bicarbonate is very beneficial for diabetes and your overall health. Take caution as you would with anything else and discuss with your doctor because your health is the most important thing in your life.
Reverse Your Type 2 Diabetes Below!
Please forward this article to others who may need help and please share on social media below and leave any questions or comments you may have as well. I would love to interact with you. Thank you for reading and I appreciate it! Have a happy and a healthy one!