Diabetes. You hear about it all the time now. But what can you believe? Just what are the Diabetes Myths and Facts? A disease becomes more dangerous when you have misconceptions about it and that is true for diabetes. It is a disease about which those people seem to know too much who are not affected by it. Let’s find out.
What are the Myths & Facts About Diabetes?
This article aims at discussing and debunking the myths that are common about diabetes. There are different myths associated with it and once you find that you are suffering from diabetes you will get suggestions from almost everywhere. It is important to know about the diabetes myths and facts.
All Type of Diabetes is the Same
While there is a common misconception that all the diabetes is same, the truth is something different. Among the different types of diabetes type 1, type 1 and gestational diabetes are most common one.
There are some other types too but these are most common. The cause of different types of diabetes is different and the way of treatment for each of them is different too.
In type 1 diabetes the cells that produces insulin is attacked by the body’s immune system while in type 2 diabetes the body is resistant towards any action of insulin and also cannot produce enough hormones for compensating it. Similarly, Gestational diabetes is not permanent as it goes away after you become pregnant.
Diabetes Can be Prevented
As mentioned there are different types of diabetes and all of them cannot be prevented. Type 1 diabetes cannot be prevented as it is an autoimmune condition. There is no cure for it. The cause underlying occurrence of type 1 diabetes is still unknown.
However, according to different international diabetes prevention programs it is found that type 2 diabetes can be prevented in 58 percent of cases. There are quite some established risk factors that cause type 2 diabetes but something that you cannot change is your family heredity and ethnicity.
Recently Diagnosed with Diabetes?
SEE THE PRODUCTS YOU NEED TO GET STARTED
Say ‘No’ to Sugar if you are Suffering from Diabetes
Actually sugar intake in any volume does not cause diabetes!
It is a common myth that if you have diabetes then you must always avoid sugar. It’s not that. A well balanced diet is always recommended, but that does not mean that you cannot have sugar in your diet, have it in moderation.
The cells in your body require glucose as it is the energy source of life. The amount of sugar intake will depend upon the type of diabetes you are suffering from. In case of type 2 diabetes you must keep everything in moderation as there should be portion of sugar along with vegetables, whole grains and lean protein.
Things are a little trickier for type 1 diabetes where you have to understand that how can you adjust the dose of your next insulin for managing the sugary carbs you have taken. It’s true that earlier sugar was a big ‘no’ for any diabetic patient while now things have changed. You can consult your doctor and enjoy sweets, but always in moderation.
Obese People are Prone to get Affected by Diabetes
This myth is partially true as being overweight can increase your risk factors for being affected by diabetes, but that does not means it is the only cause. In US about 37% of the people are obese and those suffering from diabetes is 10%. That means at least 27% obese people are not suffering from diabetes. This fact shows that even if you are obese you may not have any diabetes.
There are many other factors like your genes, age, ethnicity that affects to the fact that whether you will have diabetes or not. If you are predisposed genetically with diabetes genes you cannot avoid being a diabetic even by keeping yourself trim. Yes, obesity triggers the risk factor along with risk for many other diseases and thus you should be very careful.
Want to Lower Your Blood Sugar?
See the one supplement that works
Myth 5: All People with Diabetes Need to Follow the Same Diet
There are different people suffering with diabetes who come from different age group. Even kids also get affected by diabetes. Thus, how is it possible that everyone suffering with diabetes will have to follow the same diet?
People come from different backgrounds and they have their own food habits. What is most important for any diabetic patient is that they must eat healthy. The diet should contain necessary nutrients to support your body. Normally low carb diet is suggested for those suffering from diabetes.
People with Diabetes Suffer from Heart Disease
Diabetes has a lot of effects on the health of the patient, but it does not mean that if you have diabetes then you will have heart disease. There can be multiple other reasons that can lead to heart problem and it is found that many patient having heart disease do not suffer from diabetes.
If you can lead a healthy lifestyle by maintaining your blood cholesterol, blood pressure and blood glucose then you can avoid the risk of heart disease for long, even though you have diabetes. It just takes action!
Yes, you should be careful about the risk of having heart disease, but that does not mean that you will live with the fear that your heart is going to have a heart attack just because you have diabetes. Have healthy habits, eat healthy and take care of your heart, you may not have to worry about it at all.
You may Lose a Limb or Become Blind
Gain another misconception about diabetes that you may lose your limb just because you do not have your blood glucose level under control! It’s true that there are many cases of amputations and blindness among those who are suffering from diabetes, but check on that they must not have lead a healthy life.
You need to be well-informed about how can you manage your blood sugar level and other aspects of your heart. Listening to your physician will help you take care of your body parts well. There are different diabetic health awareness programs and by attending them you can know how to lead a healthy life even while suffering from diabetes.
When you are suffering from diabetes make sure that you take care of even a small cut in your feet. Even getting your eyes checked up regularly will help you maintain its health too. High blood sugar can damage the blood vessels of retina and thus you should be very careful about that. You can prevent this by having your eyes checked up at least once every year.
A Diabetes Patient will Always Need Insulin
Your pancreas creates a hormone called insulin which aids your body in using the glucose for energy. In case you are suffering from type 1 diabetes then your body will not produce insulin and in case of type 2 the cells become resistant to the effect. The result is that sugar builds up in your blood and then overflows along with your urine.
With time this uncontrolled sugar level will cause different health problems. Thus, you need to prevent that. Insulin is given to diabetic patients, but not that everyone needs them. There are different oral medications that may help along with some lifestyle change. You may be suggested to lose weight and do regular exercise that will help in controlling the blood sugar level.
You Have to Forget Alcohol
It’s true that when you have diabetes you must control whatever you are eating, but that does not mean that you cannot take a sip of alcohol. If you have diabetes, then you can have moderate alcohol consumption. However, there are certain precautions that must be taken before you enjoy your happy hour.
There are empty calories in alcohol that get converted into sugar when it enters in your body and then it metabolizes as fat. Thus, do not over drink. Having a glass each day is good enough, but if the mixers are sugar free it is better.
You should not even drink when you are empty stomach as in such case the risk of low blood glucose increases. Best way to deal with alcohol consumption is asking your physician of what do they suggest and follow them as they know your exact health condition better. If they feel they may allow you to drink even two glasses a day.
Diabetic Patients are Bad Drivers
There is a misconception that diabetic people may be dangerous while driving. The fact is something else. There are many bad drivers who don’t have diabetes!
Every diabetic patient has the risk of getting low blood sugar or hypoglycemia. It is a situation when the blood glucose level drops and the person can become shaky. They may see things blurry and may not have grip on the driver’s wheels. However, this condition has nothing to do with the skill of the driver.
Hypoglycemia is situation that can be well controlled if the person suffering from diabetes takes care of it. There are very fewer cases where the accidents have occurred as the blood sugar level of the patient had dropped, however the myth that these persons can be very dangerous as driver continues to exist.
If no one in your Family has Diabetes you too will Never Have it
There are different factors that are the cause of diabetes and heredity is just one of them.
If none of your family members have diabetes then you too may not have type 2 diabetes, but there is no sure thing about type 1 diabetes. Even if your family members do not have this problem you should get a health check to ensure that whether you have it or not if you find any symptoms related to it.
You Cannot Exercise if you Have Diabetes
Fact: Actually the fact is something different. When you are suffering from diabetes you need to lead a life that has more healthy habits compared to anyone else. You can control your blood sugar level if you exercise regularly. Of course that should be done under a professional’s care.
This myth of not exercising while having diabetes has come from the fact that a diabetic person may have low blood sugar if they do too much physical activity. When you are on insulin and you are more active than you should be there is risk of fall in your blood sugar level. However, it does not means that you cannot exercise.
You can always exercise and maintain your diet properly. If you do not eat on time and skip meals there are high chances that your blood sugar level will drop and that is not good for your health.
You Cannot be Pregnant if you are Diabetic
A lady suffering from type 1 diabetes may have the fear that she cannot give birth to a baby. But this is a myth now after more is known about diabetes and it can be well-controlled now.
Yes, the pregnancy will be considered as high-risk pregnancy and not a normal one, but then medical experts can handle it easily if you follow the instructions given by them.
You will Need Dialysis in Case you are a Diabetic Patient
For a diabetes patient, there are many complications and the kidney also suffers from it. The blood vessels of the kidney are damaged with time and they cannot filter the blood as it used to. When it is left untreated for long there are high chances of kidney failure. In such cases you will require dialysis to clean your bloodstream.
However, if you can control your diabetes properly this risk can be delayed for quite some time. There are many diabetic patients who never had to go under dialysis in their lifetime. This is really a good thing when you take care of your diabetes.
Recently Diagnosed with Diabetes?
SEE THE PRODUCTS YOU NEED TO GET STARTED
If you notice you will find that there are different Diabetes Myths and Facts. The myths had evolved when people knew very little about the disease. They are still believed and without knowing the fact you too start believing in them and even spread them.
If you have any confusion about any fact related to diabetes does not just discuss it with your friends. Your physician is the right person to guide you. Follow them and stay healthy!
Want to Lower Your Blood Sugar?
See the one supplement that works
- Advanced Glucometer Kit: metene TD-4116 diabetes testing kit is equipped with advanced technologies, bring more accurate and reliable results and better experience for your blood sugar control; a control solution is included for checking the glucometer and strips
- Easy to Use: The blood glucose monitor is with code-free design, ready for testing once insert the strip correctly; the quick guide inside the package lists the steps to do a test clearly, easy to follow; any problem about operation, we are here ready to answer and provide glucose monitoring system instructional videos
- 7 Seconds And 0.7µl Blood: This blood glucose meter kit just need 0.7 microliter blood sample and 7 seconds to get you blood glucose value; Fast, minimize wound and less painful
- More Clearly Glucose Trend: 4 modes to record your glucose value according to different time, shows your glucose trend more clearly; 450 blood sugar values storage, continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average, which bring more convenient Diabetes management for you and your health provider
- User-friendly for The Aged: 4 reminder alarms could be set everyday to remind the aged to do a test in time, considerate; the display is more large than most glucose monitors, showing the results more clearly, easier to read for the aged
- Dr. Marlene Merritt (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 100 Pages - 10/24/2021 (Publication Date) - Primal Health, LP (Publisher)
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- FULL SPECTRUM OF BENEFITS TO PEOPLE WITH BLOOD SUGAR CONCERNS: (1) Promotes normal blood sugar levels, (2) Promotes weight loss, (3) Reduces absorption of sugars & other carbohydrates, (4) Promotes healthy insulin sensitivity & production, (5) Promotes healthy cholesterol, heart, blood vessels & circulation, and (6) Promotes healthy energy.
- HOW GLUCOCIL WORKS: Not many people know that there are 3 Essentials for keeping your blood sugar normal: (1) Reduce sugar absorption from food, (2) Reduce the liver’s sugar production, and (3) Increase the body’s use of sugar for energy. Target any one of the 3 Essentials and you'll improve your blood sugar levels. But target all 3 Essentials together, and you'll help keep your levels within the normal range. ONLY GLUCOCIL TARGETS ALL 3 ESSENTIALS FOR NORMAL BLOOD SUGAR.
- EXTRA STRENGTH SOFTGELS (*2,250mg OF ACTIVE INGREDIENTS PER SERVING): Doctor formulated, proprietary blood glucose management blend, 14 clinically researched ingredients based on more than 100 published research studies, including human clinical studies on Glucocil's proprietary mulberry leaf extract, which was shown to instantly lower peak post-meal elevations by up to 44%.
- OVER 1 MILLION BOTTLES SOLD: The Simple Secret of Targeting All 3 Essentials for Normal Blood Sugar + Support Overall Wellness for Enjoying Life More, since 2008, made in a registered GMP facility in USA, 100,000+ Facebook fans.
- DIRECTIONS: For the first 3 days, take 1 softgel with lunch and 1 softgel with dinner. After 3 days, take 2 softgels with lunch and 2 softgels with dinner. As with any nutritional supplement, talk with your doctor before using Glucocil.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
Last update on 2021-10-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API