Belly Fat and Diabetes
It’s been researched that belly fat can be the cause of or be related to the cause of coronary heart disease and of course type 2 diabetes. You can either have a pear shape body which is having a narrower waistline and your hips carrying the weight, not your abdomen. This doesn’t necessarily increase your risk of heart disease or diabetes, but you don’t want to worry about diabetes and belly fat. Or you can have an apple shape body which means you have a big waistline, large upper back, wide “butt”, and bigger in your chest area.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away, but not this isn’t the case when your body is the apple shape. Fat buildup in the belly area is the worst place in the body to carry this extra weight. Having excess weight in the abdomen is associated with chronic diseases and is not good for your back. Your body becomes insulin resistant when you have belly fat and stress adds to it as well.
When you have this shape, you will high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high blood sugar or low blood sugar. You don’t want to be at increased risk for stroke or heart attack, do you? The answer is no. You also don’t want to be tired all the time either.
Let’s talk numbers (BMI)
Let’s start with your numbers because that lets you know what point you’re at. It’s like getting on the scale when you need to know your weight. BMI (Body Mass Index) You want to measure the circumference of your waist. So get your tape measure and measure your waistline. Don’t cheat. Get an accurate number!
So here are the numbers and you should be aware and concerned if:
Men’s waist is more than 37″
Women’s waist is more than 31 1/2″
For men, you want to be concerned and take action if your waist size is over 40″ and for women over 34″
What your BMI number means:
- Underweight= less than 18.5
- Normal weight= 18.5-24.9
- Overweight= 25-29.9
- Obese= 30 or more
Another way to calculate is to measure your height and your waist. Divide your waist by your height. If the number is 0.5 or less you’re good to go. Anything over means that it may indicate more than 50% belly fat.
Why we get fat-the worldwide outbreak
Can I lose belly fat? Well, yes. The obvious fact here is to not get belly fat and diabetes in the first place. So let’s see what is driving us to the fat farm, so to speak.
- Daily habits. It begins with poor eating habits as a kid. It’s our parents, then us as parents setting a bad example for children. I’m not saying kids should miss out on all the “fun” things to have such as cake and candy and what ever else, but it shouldn’t be the main focus of what we eat as kids because it carries over to our adulthood if we don’t curb it early on. Nutrition should be key early on.
- Lack of exercise. We become lazy, no motivation, low self esteem, or are too “busy” to fit exercise into our schedules. Today’s technology, with tablets, phones, and computers, takes the place of time that as kids, we used as exercise. Being outdoors and playing and getting involved in sports was what kept us going.
- Diets. Yes one diet after another has been people’s solutions to losing weight but instead we just get fatter. It should be all about learning how to eat right in the first place. While a “diet” may help lose weight temporarily, eating the right healthy foods will be the most beneficial and solve the problem of not having the belly fat or fat in general. Weight loss for diabetes is important.
- Food addiction. Food is everywhere and let’s face it, food is very addicting. But while the junk food with all the sugars is what we crave, it’s because it’s there, tastes good, and not good for our health. Once we learn to “eat right” the junk foods won’t we calling your name anymore.
- Pills. Come on now. Do you really think that there are pills or a pill that’s going to not make you get fat again? Take this and it helps you lose weight. I’ve been there. It just doesn’t happen that way. It’s just to mask the problem. You have to learn the correct ways to not get fat in the first place. No magic pills, sorry! But there are supplements that can help you in lowering your sugar and aiding in weight loss.
Foods that combat belly fat
Foods that are rich in fiber
If you want to have less abdominal fat, then you should aim for 10 grams of soluble fiber daily. So the list of fiber rich foods should include: whole grains, legumes, and fruits and vegetables in general. With fruits such as apples, you want to eat the skin because that’s where your soluble fiber is. You don’t want too much fiber, so be careful but make sure you drink enough water, approximately 6-8 glasses a day. You can also have apple cider vinegar mixed with honey. Spread your fiber meals throughout the day too.
Water content foods
First off, anything with water will make you feel fuller. What’s one reason why fruits and vegetables are so good for you? The answer is: Low calories, and they contain much needed nutrients and water. When you consume these foods, your body will get the signal that you are full and therefore you will eat less.
Let me just list a few of these:
Because vegetables tend to satisfy your hunger better than munching on unhealthy snacks such as potato chips. Munching and crunching on carrots and celery sticks are better for you and contain water to help flush your fat out.
Because fruits are sweet they can satisfy your “sweet tooth” better with less sugar and calories than junk food does. And of course junk food is just that, junk.
Which foods rev up your metabolism?
- Cayenne pepper; contains capsaicin and this builds up the heat inside your body and when this occurs, energy is required and cayenne pepper aids in increasing your metabolism. I use capsaicin cream for pain and sunburns. It really works.
- Green tea promotes weight loss and also aids in promoting fat burning and adding to the internal heat inside your body.
- Apple cider vinegar is a great booster for metabolism, as well as baking soda is too. You may want to mix it with a pinch of cayenne, some lemon juice, a little bit of cinnamon, and a drop or two of raw honey before drinking. I don’t like the taste of apple cider vinegar but I do mix it with various sugar free drinks and green teas because apple cider vinegar has the MOST benefits for your body than anything else that I know of.
- Cinnamon and coconut oil. Again both are very beneficial for you in many ways other than helping to raise your metabolism
There are others, but these will help do the trick for now.
Measuring success from losing your belly fat
Sure you are probably all excited about getting started and more importantly seeing weight-loss results. And there is nothing more motivating than actually seeing the results. They will happen quickly, but patience is the key too. Here are a few things that will help you to stay positive and keep your expectations in line!
DO NOT WEIGHT YOURSELF EVERYDAY: This is a big one. It is really important not to weigh yourself every day when you are looking to actually see your progress. Why? Well because your body may be working at a different pace than you like it and just because you want to see that 3 pounds drop off right now, doesn’t mean that’s what is going to happen.
Usually when people lose weight it happens sporadically. It may be 7 or 8 pounds in the first few days because you are shocking your system, then it may be another week before a few more drop off. This of course depends on how much you are drinking, what you are eating and how well your body is adjusting to eating the right foods to burn your belly fat. Rest assured though, if you stick with it, you will get your flat belly results and you’ll be addressing your diabetes too.
And when you do weigh yourself make sure you do it at the same time, usually first thing in the morning works great. Try weighting yourself once a week, this will surely put a huge smile on your face, motivate you and give your body a chance to burn off that tummy fat! There’s no better feeling.
CLOTHING MEASURE: This is a great way to motivate and ensure you are staying on track with trimming your flat belly. Think of how great it feels to slip on a pair of pants and find that you suddenly need a belt to hold them up!
Using the feel of your clothes is a great way to measure your progress, even better than the scale in my opinion. This removes some of the daily pressure and both you and your head know that if you are sticking to the plan, the weight will continue to fall off. That’s an awesome feeling!
HOW YOU FEEL: Never underestimate your feelings when it comes to getting healthy and losing weight. As the weight drops off your energy levels will rise, you’ll naturally look at the world through a half-full glass and your positivity will reflect in everything you do. When you are feeling great you know your plan to reduce the extra fat in your abdomen is moving along nicely.
COMMENTS FROM OTHERS: Think of how fabulous it feels when another person comments on how great you look. This is awesome, right? Well this is pretty much a guarantee as you progress in the goal of getting rid of the excess abdominal fat and don’t be surprised when people see the difference and start noticing!
I’m hoping I’ve helped you and that you enjoyed this article and that you can help trim the belly fat and diabetes. By losing weight you can lower your blood sugar but if you’re still not satisfied with your glucose numbers then this will help you! Please, if you have any questions about diabetes and belly fat, please leave a comment below.