Carbohydrates and Diabetes
Carbohydrates and Diabetes are something that must be discussed. So let’s begin with what a carbohydrate is. It’s a nutrient in our food that converts most easily into sugar within the bloodstream and more than any other nutrient is the cause of raising out blood sugar levels the most. Diabetes comes from high blood sugar and carbohydrates provide the sugar.
Every form of carbs get broken down and converted into sugar flowing through our bloodstream. Any carbs coming from sugary foods, pastas, breads, etc. will raise your blood sugar levels when the carbs are broken down into glucose.
There are two types of carbohydrates
Simple carbohydrates: These get broken down rather quickly. They do not have much nutritional value for you and rise your sugar much more easily. These are the BAD boys! Examples of simple carbs that you should avoid are:
- Cereal bars
- Sweetened iced tea or coffee
- Ice cream
- Brown or white sugar
- White anything- breads, rolls, bagels, rice, pasta
Well, that’s enough. You get the general idea.
Complex carbohydrates: They slow down the rate of absorption and digestion because of content of higher fiber and slows down the rate of raising that blood sugar level.
- No carb drinks (You may add limes or lemons for flavor)
- Tea or coffee unsweetened
- Diet drinks with zero sugar
- Soy or almond milk
- Milk, but only low fat or non fat
- Whole grain crackers or cereals
- Sweet potatoes
These are the ones you need.
It just makes sense what you eat
It’s no secret that we are what we eat. Some people care and some don’t. If you have diabetes and high blood sugar, then you should care about what you eat because high blood sugar is dangerous and in fact so is low blood sugar. They key here is to know what you can and should be eating and keep your blood sugar, blood pressure, and other health issues that lead to diabetes.
The goal is to make the choice of the complex carbs and consume them at an even pace throughout the day to avoid having you sugar spike. You don’t want your sugar rising and especially at a fast pace. You’ll also be interested in knowing most carb calories end up as glucose. This results in having a much bigger impact on blood sugar levels than either protein or fat. So make sure you keep this in mind.
Blood sugar and balancing your carbohydrates
As previously mentioned, keeping tabs on your diet and medications if you’re taking them and insulin as well. It’s important to know what carbs you’re eating because if you’re eating the simple carbs, that creates problems. If you’re taking insulin it can cause your blood sugar levels to rise. It’s VERY important have your blood sugar at the proper level. You don’t want hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) OR hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Low blood sugar can be extremely dangerous.
You need carbohydrates for your body but only the complex carbs, not the simple carbs. Designing a meal plan or having your doctor help is the way to go. I got into the habit of checking labels and knowing what the nutritional facts are including: sugar, protein, calories, carbs, cholesterol, sodium, saturated fat, and trans fat.
Importance of fiber
Everyone needs and should make fiber an important part of your daily intake. Fiber is responsible for slowing the absorption of sugar, keeping your digestive system in top working order and makes you feel fuller. A high fiber diet can aid in the prevention of excess body fat.
If you’re eating more fiber, you’re probably going to have a lower body weight. I found by losing weight it has helped lower my blood sugar and reduced my type 2 diabetes. You want to keep your diabetes controlled.
While fiber is a plant food that you can’t digest, it is very beneficial health wise for controlling your weight and reducing your risk of heart disease and high cholesterol levels. If you’re smart in choosing the complex carbohydrates, then it’s easier to control these levels. It works for weight loss and that helps your diabetes.
Low carbohydrate diets
- The Atkins diet is a low-carbohydrate diet for weight loss.
- The claim with Atkins is that fat and protein are unlimited and foods with high carbs are off limits.
- Atkins diet was at first considered to be unhealthy because of unsaturated fat. Studies currently dismiss that fact.
- It’s a low carb diet that helps you lose weight by eating more protein and lowering your carbohydrate intake and therefore reducing your appetite. This will aid in you losing weight.
- Ketogenic is similar to Atkins as it is a high fat low carb diet too.
- Fat replaces the very strict reducing of carb intake.
- Carbs are reduced and puts your body into ketosis. This is a normal metabolic process. Your body burns stored fats because your energy levels are lowered from not enough glucose.
- Causes big reductions in insulin levels and blood sugar.
Check with your physician before putting yourself on these diets or any others for that matter. Diets can be good and bad for certain people. It depends on each individual and their body type and physical condition. What you want to do is to shoot for being healthy and controlling your blood sugar.
Differences between protein, fat, and carbohydrates
Proteins are important and can’t be produced by the body and these essential fatty acids are crucial for your survival through your diet. Your body relies on protein to repair cells in the body. It works to help with muscles, hair, skin, and nails and many other parts of your body.
You actually need fat in your body because fats contain essential amino acids and without fat? Your body can’t absorb vitamins such as “A”, “D”, “E” & “K” which are necessary for that process and others too.
When carbohydrates aren’t in abundance in your diet, your body can create glucose from protein. So when your diet doesn’t have the right amount of carbs, glucose can be converted by your liver releasing glycogen.
Amount of carbs you should consume daily
Ok, everyone is different so the numbers won’t be equally the same. So the average person in America will consume about 300 grams of carbs per day. For type 2 diabetics it’s recommended to be less than 200 grams per day. A low based to medium diet amount would be 100-200 grams daily. A low carb diet would be under 100 grams daily. And an extremely low carb diet is less than 50 grams a day.
You need to balance your blood sugar levels out and you do that by eating the correct amount of carbs for YOU. You may be trying a much lower amount to shoot for and then it doesn’t work and you have to adjust the carb intake. You just have to find what number works for you in particular.
It’s important to search out a long term lifestyle change and then stick to it. Going for a one or two day fix isn’t the answer. Be smart and use common sense. It’s your health on the line here. I found what works for me and you can too.
Good health overall
You want to be in good health and that goes without saying. There are many benefits that help with diabetes other than watching your carbohydrate intake. Have your cholesterol checked. You don’t want heart disease either. Exercise is important no matter what it is. Walking is good too. You’ll worry less and have much less stress when you exercise so get moving. Make sure you get moving each and every day.
You’ll want to watch your weight and that helps control diabetes. Take vitamins D and B12 or make sure you get them in the food you eat. They are very crucial for your good health. You should be eating when you’re hungry and stop when you’re full. Carbohydrates and diabetes are connected because carbs are not good for diabetes.
Carbohydrates and Diabetes are connected because carbohydrates can help or hurt you in your quest to defeat diabetes and high blood sugar. If you need a plan to help lowering your sugar, this works! The purpose of this article was to pass on information that I have experienced. I hope you found value here and I would appreciate your feedback and leave a comment below. Thank you!
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API