Medical journals state that individuals who eat breakfast are not likely to suffer from obesity or diabetes. Breakfast gives your body its’ vital nutrients, jump starts your brain, gives your metabolism what it needs to get working for the day and helps to keep you slim. So what are the Best Breakfast Foods For Diabetics? Let’s find out:
As a Diabetic, What can You Eat for Breakfast?
You need to eat a healthy breakfast each and every day. After a long night, breakfast is the first meal that you have to start your day. It is the most important meal of the day which can influence you for the rest of the day. You should start your day feeling energized by eating the right breakfast.
Nowadays, eating healthy can be challenging. Many people eat junk food because they don’t choose to eat quality food at breakfast time. Starting your day on an empty stomach can cause your blood sugar levels to be hazardously low. It will make you need an instant sugar solution, which can cause overeating.
It will also please you to know that the traditional breakfast that most people think of is not really healthy. The likes of pancakes, cereal, bacon, sausage, grits, and donuts are very unhealthy and can cause you to gain weight.
A good breakfast contains 5.5 grams of protein per cup of cooked oatmeal, making it a nutrient-filled breakfast option. Always use little quality of cinnamon for flavor. Fresh fruit is best for breakfast. The USA guidelines recommended that people with type 2 diabetes should stick to less than four eggs per week. The reason is that they recommend that cholesterol is limited to less than 300 milligrams daily for healthy people.
Those folks that are diagnosed with diabetes should be more disciplined with food choices they eat. You should consider finding a clean and healthy diabetic menu that is healthy for you, but you should only be choosing the suitable foods to curb diabetes in the best possible method and, keep in mind, the foods you eat should protect you from long-term damage done by diabetes; think anti-oxidants, and low-fatty foods.
Creating Your Menu
Creating a diabetic breakfast menu and breakfast foods can be exciting and satisfying. It translates that diabetes breakfast menus and recipes are no longer boring. Healthful diabetic breakfasts are feasible if you can add your individual personal touch and artistic style to make them a bit distinct.
The American Diabetes Association offers some criteria to check such as; steel-cut oatmeal, oat bran, rolled oatmeal and are all low on the glycemic index chart because their numbers are under 55.
Cornflakes, puffed rice, bran flakes, and instant oatmeal are considered high GI foods, with a value of 70 or more and should be avoided.
It is very important to select your dishes accurately, especially breakfast which is one of the most vital meals of the day.
However, outside a diabetic breakfast, it is more expedient that you should try and maintain superior values of wellness and physical fitness outside typical examinations to stay in complete control of your type 2 diabetes.
There are seven diabetes-friendly breakfast ideas to help you stay healthy and get on with your day:
- Breakfast Shake
- Muffin Parfait
- Whole-Grain Cereal
- Scrambled Eggs and Toast
- Breakfast Burrito
- Bagel Thins With Nut Butter
- Almonds and Fruit
Watch the Video Below for Additional Breakfast Ideas for Diabetics
1)- Breakfast Shake: Breakfast Shake is a meal that is made in a minute and very good for diabetics. Simply blend a single cup of a yogurt that is non-fat and plain, and milk that is fat-free with a half of a cup of fruit. It can be banana or any berries. Then add one teaspoon of wheat germ and ice and blend for a tasty shake. This serves as a healthy breakfast. You will love this!
There are some diabetes-friendly smoothie ideas to start your day with:
- Superfood Smoothie
- Lower-Carb Strawberry Smoothie Recipe
- Berry Blast Smoothie
- Spinach and Chia Seed Coconut Smoothie
- Snickers Smoothie
- Peach Smoothie
2)- Muffin Parfait: It is an American layered dessert that consists of fruit, ice cream, pastries, whipped topping, and others. It is served in a parfait glass. It’s a smoothie that is usually made flavored with liqueurs.
It takes only five minutes for a healthy blueberry muffin parfait to lash up and is the perfect breakfast choice for diabetic people. A single serve fleecy blueberry muffin layered between coconut yogurt is refined sugar-free, a gluten-free, vegan, paleo, dairy-free delight and grain free.
3)- Whole-Grain Cereal: Whole grain contains whole unprocessed grains. It is a fiber and you can find it in fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, and whole grains. Everyone is expected to eat more fiber especially if you have diabetes. This means that fiber doesn’t raise your blood sugar.
4)- Scrambled Eggs and Toast: Scrambled eggs are a quick and simple breakfast food that is good for diabetics. It has low-fat content and even lower in cholesterol, making it a great supplement to your scrambled eggs.
A boiled egg with two slices of toast and low fat spread has higher cholesterol contains 286 cal, while a poached egg on toast with mushrooms and a barred tomato is around 200 cal.
So if you are making your scrambled eggs for breakfast and you don’t use butter and you also make baked beans and use a lower amount of sugar and salt, you can then consider these as healthy foods for breakfast too. You have to be careful when it comes to sugar and salt.
5)- Breakfast Burritos: This is a large skillet drain that is enthused in a wrapped foil. Burritos is usually in a large skillet over medium or high heat, brown burritos in oil on all sides. Burritos are usually not cooked, but you can cook it lightly in the microwave to just melt the cheese a wee bit and better served with chilled tomato salsa, enjoying your healthy breakfast to keep you going.
6)- Bagel Thins With Nut Butter: Peanut butter is calorie-dense. Having peanut butter on a whole wheat bagel will satisfy your hunger and give you the feeling of being full better than if you have a white bagel which contains additional calories.
It will please you to know that the protein and fiber in peanut butter will “stick to your ribs” and will not make you gain weight unless you eat more than your total allowed calories for the day. And you sure as heck don’t want to do that!
Bagels can be healthy if you’re choosing a whole grain or whole wheat bagel for instance. The fact is that the vast majority of bagels don’t contain the minerals, vitamins, and fiber that you require. So the deal is that without fiber, carbohydrates in the bagel may digest fairly quickly, they get converted to sugar, and finally convert to fat.
You might possibly lose weight when you eat a bagel, but only eat the whole grain or whole wheat bagel and don’t overdo it. Moderation!
When you go on a diet, though you probably imagine eating nothing but fruits and salads. Feel free to eat a bagel for breakfast because there are many ways to add healthy foods to bagels that will support a healthy diet. There are other foods that go with bagels when eating breakfast and get you out of a cream cheese groove.
The best food to combine with a bagel includes; avocado egg salad, turkey apple cheddar bagel melts, bang bang tofu bagel, honey drizzled pistachio and avocado bagel toast, homemade bagels with coriander-lime hummus, avocado, and salmon, tuna salad sandwich, open-faced bagel breakfast sandwich.
7)- Almonds and Fruit: Almonds and fruit are breakfast foods that diabetic people can eat on the go. You can just take a handful of almonds that are whole and raw and a small fruit, like orange, berries, a peach or an apple.
The best way to prepare them is to soak them prior to the morning time and peel the skin off in the morning and blend them with dates and coconut, which in turn can reduce pitta exacerbation in the blood.
Almonds are actually a great addition to your breakfast. They fill and help prevent weight gain even though nuts are high in calories and studies suggest you don’t absorb all the fat in them. Also nuts of every magnitude are high in magnesium, potassium and heart-healthy monounsaturated fat.
There is also almond milk which is a delicious beverage. It can be used as a substitute to cow’s milk. As almond nuts contain many nutrients and they can be eaten directly, preferably on an empty stomach to increase and speed up the absorption of the nutrients.
One of the Best Ways to Lose Weight & Lower Your Blood Sugars
Best Choices of Starchy vegetable meals for Diabetics for breakfast:
- Acorn squash
- Butternut squash
- Green peas
- Sweet potato
Pregnant diabetics are not left alone on the kind of breakfast to partake in daily. They should have a great deal of vegetables and fruits, modest portions of healthy fats and lean proteins. In addition, average amounts of whole grains such as starchy vegetables including peas and corn, rice, cereal, bread and pasta may be consumed. Pregnant women should avoid the foods listed below as carbohydrates are found in them:
- Split peas, lentils, and dried beans
- Crackers, bread, rolls, tortillas, and bagels
- Yams, winter squash, and potatoes
Gestational Diabetes and Vegans Picks
For those with gestational diabetics, there are few healthy choices for snacks and meals for breakfast for them such as; fresh or frozen vegetables especially ones that are steamed, eggs or egg whites, steel-cut oatmeal topped with berries, fresh fruit, skinless chicken breasts, baked fish, air-popped popcorn and unsweetened Greek yogurt are all meals for gestational diabetic people.
Finally, diabetics can also be vegetarian. When you are a vegetarian diabetic, you can lessen your chances of cardiovascular disease. A disciplined person on a vegan diet is consuming foods that contain a good amount of soluble fiber basically free from cholesterol, and mostly free from saturated fat. So when you are on a low-fat vegetarian diet, you can lower your risk of cardiovascular disease which is a common complication of folks with diabetes.
With diabetes sometimes choices may be extremely limited. But now you have some of the Best Breakfast Foods For Diabetic. Remember, breakfast is very important and you need fuel for the day. Please don’t skip breakfast, ever! You should eat breakfast within one hour upon waking up. It should be one of the first things you do anyway every morning.
If you have your shopping planned out and your meals planned as well, you’ll have the healthy foods that you can eat every morning and not have to be concerned about spiking your blood sugars. Just make sure you make the right choices and don’t overdo it. Get into a routine of what you’re eating and how much.
One of the Best Ways to Lose Weight & Lower Your Blood Sugars
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
8 thoughts on “Best Breakfast Foods for Diabetics – 7 Best Breakfast Picks”
Great article and you have lots of really great yummy breakfast suggestions here, some of which I wouldn’t have considered but would like to try.
I have always tried to maintain a healthy weight and eat a healthy diet with everything in moderation. I agree that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, we need to look after our bodies as we only have one life!
Thank you! We all know how important breakfast is and that’s why you shouldn’t skip it ever.
But having diabetes may make it more difficult for breakfast choices.
That doesn’t have to be the case. There are plenty of healthy options for diabetics to choose from for their breakfast menu.
It’s important to start your day off by fueling your body properly for the day. Thank you for sharing 😉
Hi Rob, you have some great recipe’s there and I especially love the sound of the blueberry parfait. Yum! I think all these foods are great for anybody, not just diabetics, we should all be eating low sugar, low GI diets if we don’t want to get sick in the first place I think.
Diabetes is such a huge problem now and is evidence that our bodies are just not designed for our modern way of eating. But you have a great website here for those who are already suffering. In fact, I have given your URL to a diabetic friend of mine who has just been diagnosed and hasn’t a clue where to start with it all (the doctors don’t really give you much info about it over here) so she needs help. Thanks
Hi Stefanie 🙂
Thank you! I love for others with diabetes to have choices for a healthy breakfast.
With diabetes, the choices may be limited but still healthy nonetheless.
Diabetes is mostly about what we eat anyway so it’s important to know the right foods to keep us healthy.
I know that you are familiar with this.
Breakfast is so important especially for diabetics so if you’re starting the day out with the right food choices, then you’re setting the stage for the rest of the day!
Thank you for passing my website on to your friend and others as well. I appreciate your comments! 🙂
Hi Rob. This is interesting; ‘Medical journals state that individuals who eat breakfast are not likely to suffer from obesity or diabetes.’ A good healthy meal to start the day is important. It is a shame that so many of the processed products promoted as healthy breakfast foods are far from healthy and will add to a diabetic’s problems. Thanks for sharing the 7 options you have listed. I am sure that any diabetic that reads this will benefit from these recommendations. Many thanks.
Once you realize just how important breakfast is, especially when you have diabetes, you’ll begin to not skip breakfast and make healthier choices.
For one, I avoid juices because of all the sugars they have in them. With an breakfast food that is either high in fat or sugar, you should be avoiding them.
The 7 choices here are the best and they are healthy for you as a diabetic. There’s enough to mix it up every day so you’re not having the same thing.
The other thing is that you can make your own recipes with foods you know are good for you and will not spike your blood sugars. Just make sure you’re getting the fuel you need to keep you running through the day!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! 🙂
A very informative and detailed article, you provide a great coverage of the topic at hand by using different promotional mediums but at the same time providing solutions to the audience. It’s good that you have a niche website set-up targeting a specific audience.
Keep up the good work!!
Thank you! I know as a diabetic it’s difficult with food choices.
Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it’s great to have good choices to get fuel for the day.
I wanted to provide folks with just that. So now you can eat healthy and not raise your blood sugars. It’s all about us as diabetics being the healthiest we can be while controlling the diabetes.
These breakfast ideas are just what the doctor ordered!
Thank you for stopping by!