This fruit is a super food that lowers your blood sugar, helps to control your type 2 diabetes and is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. These natural compounds that are contained in a variety of fruits are responsible for protecting you against chronic diseases. Are Strawberries Good For Diabetics?
Why Strawberries are Essential for Diabetes
It’s important to know that when choosing fruits, you want to select the ones that are slow release carbs. The fruits that are higher on the glycemic index level are the ones that are fast releasing carbs.
Strawberries are a fruit that is lower with a GI of only 4o. This means that they appear to slow down the digestion of the glucose and help reduce any spikes in insulin and the glucose after having a meal that is rich in carbohydrates.
The portion of your carbs are represented by available carbs contained in a particular food that can actually raise your blood glucose levels and the results can be found by removing the grams of fiber from your total carbohydrates.
You can replace whatever fruits that you are accustomed to eating that might be in the higher glycemic index range and replace them with strawberries that will keep your sugars in the correct range by decreasing your intake of carbs. That’s the goal, to reduce your carbs.
Strawberries, in addition to apples and tomatoes, contain a rare compound known as fisetin which is a beneficial flavonoid that acts as an antioxidant. When research was performed in mice that were diabetic, it revealed that it decreased problems with memory and kidneys.
This compound did not lower blood sugar levels but did in fact lowered the enlargement of the kidneys and also decreased high urine protein levels which are a warning sign of kidney disease.
It’s excellent that strawberries are low in calories. But other positive facts are that they are high in vitamin C and fiber which are ingredients that build up your health. Fiber is important for losing weight which helps to control your blood sugars as well. The fiber helps you feel satisfied for a longer period of time and in turn you will eat less. It also helps with avoiding constipation.
Diabetes research with strawberries revealed that they contain considerable amounts of anthocyanins and ellagitannins which were shown to treat hypertension and hyperglycemia which are both connected to type 2 diabetes. These substances are also able to lower your blood sugar levels according to The Journal of Medicinal Food.
Eating a moderate amount of strawberries weekly is associated with a lower risk of type 2 diabetes. This is according to research done at Harvard University that was reported to the American Diabetes Association.
There as also a study done at Harvard for 37,000 women who were in the middle age bracket and who did not have diabetes. For over 14 years the women who ate more strawberries had less of a risk of developing higher A1C levels. That’s excellent news!
Health Benefits of Strawberries
1) Heart Protection
Studies were done and the results were that eating strawberries at least three times a week will help with preserving the function of your heart and keeping it healthy.
There are substantial amounts of polyphenols contained in strawberries that lessen your risk of cardiovascular disease by impeding the formation of platelets and decreasing blood pressure through its ability of anti-inflammatory properties.
2) Your Vision
Your eyes and your vision are vital to your health. So having three or more servings of strawberries weekly will aid in lowering your risk of macular degeneration. You don’t want to lose your sight.
They can also help with avoiding cataracts which is a clouding over they lens of the eye which can result in blindness in old age. The retina and cornea of your eye can be strengthened and protected with strawberries from the strong UV rays of the sun.
3) Fights Aging
Strawberries can help the aging process by fighting off free radicals and this can result in keeping things like blemishes, wrinkles and fine lines to a minimum. This will help your appearance so that you don’t look as old as you actually are. It’s nice to look younger.
One of the foods that is highest in antioxidants is strawberries. They are vital to your health because they keep your cells protected against diseases. It’s important to make sure your body gets plenty of antioxidants because they are the first army of defense in keeping your body healthy.
5) Bone Health
You want strong bones, don’t you? Of course you do and especially when you get older. It’s that much more important because of problems such as osteoporosis and other bone problems. Strawberries contain vitamin K, potassium, and magnesium that are very responsible for these protections.
6) Cancer Fighter
These awesome protective fruit has a flavonoid called quercetin that is widely know to kill off cancer cells in your body. So eating strawberries will make it possible to aid in preventing esophagus, skin, bladder, lung, and breast cancers. For this purpose it is best to buy organic strawberries.
You want to keep your energy levels up by eating foods such as these that are nutrient rich. You can boost your energy and feel that way all day long by the natural carbohydrates and sugars found in the fruit.
8) Fat Burner
They help to promote the burning of stored fat with anthocyanins. Strawberries also a help with weight loss through the nitrogen compound contained inside them that aids in the circulating of oxygen and flowing of blood in your body.
Check Out How to Lower Your Blood Sugar Below
9) Vitamin C
There are plenty of foods that contain vitamin C and most folks associate it with oranges. But the fact is that strawberries are a better choice when it comes to vitamin C. One cup of oranges has 70 mg of vitamin C while one cup of strawberries contains over 84 mg of vitamin C. They have a sweet taste and will help boost your immune system.
10) Blood Pressure
Keeping your blood pressure in the normal range is so important. Strawberries help to control your pressure with substantial amounts of magnesium and potassium that are responsible for lowering your hypertension that is brought on by high sodium intake.
11) Gout and Arthritis
You can wind up with accumulation of uric acid in your body and a decrease of mobility in your joints and these happen to be the main causes of gout and arthritis.
This is caused by those nasty free radicals that cause the degeneration of your tissues and your muscles. The anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants in strawberries work to address these issues.
12) Healthy Brain
What is important for maintaining the health of your nervous system are vitamin C, iodine, and phytochemicals. These are properties of strawberries and are also responsible for increasing blood flow to your brain and therefore improving cognitive function.
13) Asthma and Allergies
Having strawberries regularly can have benefits for lessening the severity and occurrence of asthma attacks. And the flavonoid quercetin is an anti-inflammatory property that can help relieve allergy symptoms such as watery eyes, runny nose, and hives.
==>>The Best Way to Lower Your Blood Sugar is with Curalin<<==
14) Immune System
Your immune system is your defense against harmful viruses and bacteria that can lead to disease. The vitamin C in strawberries is an antioxidant that is extremely potent and neutralizes the free radicals and aids in strengthening your immune system.
Strawberries are loaded with the vitamin B folate which is extremely important for women trying to conceive or are pregnant. Folate is crucial for the prevention of some birth defects and it is also important for the development of a baby’s spinal cord, skull, and brain.
16) Hair Loss
Who would think that a fruit such as strawberries could help your hair with thinning and falling out? But it’s true that the vitamin B6 and folate can help with these problems.
17) Teeth Whitener
One property of strawberries is malic acid which is a natural enamel whitener. You can make your own by mashing up the fruit, mixing it with baking soda and then applying it to your teeth. No need to buy whitening strips when you can make your own paste!
18) Puffy Eyes
They can also aid with your puffy eyes. It’s easy and simple to just place two slices on your eyelids for ten minutes for a quick fix.
Possible Side Effects of Strawberries
Strawberries are fairly safe, but there can be some adverse effects to eating them. There can be allergies in children which is common. I know I had hives when I was a child but I seemed to “grow out” out it. There is an allergy causing protein that is linked to the red color anthocyanins. White strawberries seem to be better tolerated than red.
Some common symptoms include headaches, hives, (as I mentioned with me), tingling and or itching in your mouth, swelling of your face, throat, tongue, or lips and in extreme cases breathing problems. But generally there shouldn’t be an issue with consuming them. It’s better to be safe than sorry by talking to your doctor to see if they’re safe for you in particular.
The information that I provide on my website is purely based on my own personal experience and subsequent research into the diabetes disease. It is not intended to take the place of medical advice, diagnosis and treatment. Care and investigation should always be sought from an appropriate health care provider. I am happy to discuss my own symptoms, diagnosis and history of my diabetes disease but want to stress that I am not medically trained in any way. All opinions on my website are my own. I have created this site as a way to share information and experiences.
Why are strawberries good for diabetics? They are healthy for you and as long as you eat them in moderation, you’ll get the benefits without raising your blood sugars. Berries are fruits that have a low glycemic index and won’t raise your glucose levels. Strawberries should be a part of your diet especially if you have diabetes. Most fruits are healthy in moderation though.
As you can see they are helpful with also preventing type 2 diabetes and have numerous other health benefits for you so unless you do have an allergy to them, stock up and have at least three servings a week. Have them as snacks, on salads, and in smoothies. There’s no limit as to how you can incorporate them into your meal plans.
Check Out How to Lower Your Blood Sugar Below
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Rothchild, Sascha (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 336 Pages - 04/19/2022 (Publication Date) - G.P. Putnam's Sons (Publisher)
- ✅ QUICK AND EASY TO USE: Care Touch blood sugar test kit delivers results in only 5 seconds with just a 0.5µL blood sample. There is no programming needed since our blood sugar monitor kit automatically recognizes batch codes encrypted on Care Touch glucose test strips. Our state-of-the-art glucometer kit with strips and lancets includes single-touch strip ejection, so you can hygienically remove used diabetic test strips.
- ✅ EASY DIABETIC MONITORING: The blood sugar monitor kit with strips is capable of saving up to 300 readings. The blood glucose test kit also provides a continuous 14-day average of your readings, making glucose monitoring easy for you and your healthcare provider.
- ✅ PORTABLE AND HASSLE-FREE: The diabetic testing kit comes with a handy glucometer case, which means you can check your blood sugar level at home or anywhere else while staying organized. The 10-depth lancing device and lancets will help make blood sugar testing almost painless and hassle-free.
- ✅ COMPLETE DIABETIC SET: The glucose meter kit with strips and lancets includes: (1) Care Touch Blood Sugar Meter, (100) Blood Glucose Test Strips for diabetes, (1) Lancing Device, (100) Lancets for diabetes testing, (1) 3 Volt Lithium Battery, (1) Glucose meter case for your blood sugar tester and diabetic supplies
- ✅ WE CARE BECAUSE YOU CARE: You care about your health, and we care about you. Care Touch is committed to providing the best quality blood glucose monitoring systems. Our care doesn’t end when your sugar tester diabetes kit arrives at your door. We’re fully dedicated to your satisfaction. If you have any questions or concerns about your glucose monitor kit with strips and lancets - contact us at any time.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- PUREHEALTH RESEARCH - Blood Sugar Formula 3 Bottles
- MANUFACTURED in the USA! 365-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!
- A DOCTOR-APPROVED NATURAL FORMULA. Seventeen potent ingredients, each scientifically proven to have a significant effect at helping balance your glucose levels, improve glucose sensitivity, protect delicate cells from free radicals, and energy
- HIGH POTENCY. PureHealth Research experts scientifically enhance CHROMIUM with the Vitamin C, E, Mulberry Leaf, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, L-Taurine, Berberin and other ingredients which are proven to help you support healthy blood glucose levels
- ONE CAPSULE DAILY, THREE BENEFITS: supports healthy sugar and carb absorption, supports insulin levels, supports cardiovascular health
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency support for 365 days a year; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight control and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health; daily support for healthy blood glucose levels, 365 days a year
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
Last update on 2022-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
8 thoughts on “Are Strawberries Good For Diabetics? | List of 18 Benefits”
Awesome article really learned so much about strawberries, I knew about fat burning because I have been on a diet once before, just of strawberry smoothies and it really worked. But its so beneficial in so many ways. I definitely recommend strawberries to a friend of mine that suffers from diabetics.
Hi Denise 🙂
Thank you. Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits and the fact that they can lower blood sugar and are beneficial for diabetes is just awesome.
I also love them in smoothies. But they are so healthy for us in many other ways.
It’s a fruit that has a low glycemic index so they are good for diabetics and low in calories.
Thanks for your input!
You learn something new every day.
I LOVE strawberries, especially English ones during the summertime – they are packed full of flavor!
WOW, I didn’t realize strawberries carried so many health benefits, not just for diabetics but for health, in general.
I currently suffer from high blood pressure and I’m on a mission to get my weight down so I can hopefully return to having normal blood pressure again, plus feel better about myself.
So I guess I should start eating strawberries more often. At 37, my hair’s thinning a little, so that’s another reason to eat more of the fruit lol.
And thanks for the teeth whitening tip too! 🙂
I think that most of us love strawberries and the great thing is that they are beneficial for diabetes and lowering blood sugar.
I hear ya about the weight and thinning hair too 🙂 I have the same issues.
If you’re having at least three servings of strawberries a week, then that’s perfect!
Isn’t it amazing that you can help lower your blood sugar and whiten your teeth with this natural fruit!
Thanks for chiming in Neil!
My mom is diabetic and I always have troubles finding out what type of fruits would be suitable for her condition. So this is helpful information to know.
When you say eat in moderation, is there a count per day that you would recommend? Mom really loves her fruits and she can chomp non-stop if I don’t limit her.
Thanks for the tips.
For your mom, berries are the best fruits because they are the lowest in sugar content.
I would exercise common sense because fruit does contain sugar and you don’t want to overdo it.
I would stick to five servings of fruit a day and your fist is a portion size.
Hope this helps your mom!
I had no idea the sheer number of benefits that exist with strawberries.
Im curious, how do they compare to other berry.
I’m told that most berries have similar benefits especially blue berries, I wonder how the two compare.
Do you think it would be beneficial to combine a bunch of berries, say in a fruit salad or smoothie.
What do you think is the best and most nutrient way to consume berries? Raw?
Anyway, I thought that article was very interesting, thanks for your help!
I don’t think a majority of folks know all the benefits of strawberries.
All berries are pretty much the same as nutrition goes.
The thing with the berry family of fruits are that they are about the lowest when it comes to sugar contents which makes them awesome for diabetics!
Combining berries in a salad or smoothie is a great idea and I do feel that raw is the best way.
But I do caution when having a mixture of fruits to be careful about the sugar content.
After all, too much of anything is not good.
Thank you for your comments!