This fruit is a super food that lowers your blood sugar, helps to control your type 2 diabetes and is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. These natural compounds that are contained in a variety of fruits are responsible for protecting you against chronic diseases. Are Strawberries Good For Diabetics?
Why Strawberries are Essential for Diabetes
It’s important to know that when choosing fruits, you want to select the ones that are slow release carbs. The fruits that are higher on the glycemic index level are the ones that are fast releasing carbs.
Strawberries are a fruit that is lower with a GI of only 4o. This means that they appear to slow down the digestion of the glucose and help reduce any spikes in insulin and the glucose after having a meal that is rich in carbohydrates.
The portion of your carbs are represented by available carbs contained in a particular food that can actually raise your blood glucose levels and the results can be found by removing the grams of fiber from your total carbohydrates.
You can replace whatever fruits that you are accustomed to eating that might be in the higher glycemic index range and replace them with strawberries that will keep your sugars in the correct range by decreasing your intake of carbs. That’s the goal, to reduce your carbs.
Strawberries, in addition to apples and tomatoes, contain a rare compound known as fisetin which is a beneficial flavonoid that acts as an antioxidant. When research was performed in mice that were diabetic, it revealed that it decreased problems with memory and kidneys.
This compound did not lower blood sugar levels but did in fact lowered the enlargement of the kidneys and also decreased high urine protein levels which are a warning sign of kidney disease.
It’s excellent that strawberries are low in calories. But other positive facts are that they are high in vitamin C and fiber which are ingredients that build up your health. Fiber is important for losing weight which helps to control your blood sugars as well. The fiber helps you feel satisfied for a longer period of time and in turn you will eat less. It also helps with avoiding constipation.
Diabetes research with strawberries revealed that they contain considerable amounts of anthocyanins and ellagitannins which were shown to treat hypertension and hyperglycemia which are both connected to type 2 diabetes. These substances are also able to lower your blood sugar levels according to The Journal of Medicinal Food.
Eating a moderate amount of strawberries weekly is associated with a lower risk of type 2 diabetes. This is according to research done at Harvard University that was reported to the American Diabetes Association.
There as also a study done at Harvard for 37,000 women who were in the middle age bracket and who did not have diabetes. For over 14 years the women who ate more strawberries had less of a risk of developing higher A1C levels. That’s excellent news!
Health Benefits of Strawberries
1) Heart Protection
Studies were done and the results were that eating strawberries at least three times a week will help with preserving the function of your heart and keeping it healthy.
There are substantial amounts of polyphenols contained in strawberries that lessen your risk of cardiovascular disease by impeding the formation of platelets and decreasing blood pressure through its ability of anti-inflammatory properties.
2) Your Vision
Your eyes and your vision are vital to your health. So having three or more servings of strawberries weekly will aid in lowering your risk of macular degeneration. You don’t want to lose your sight.
They can also help with avoiding cataracts which is a clouding over they lens of the eye which can result in blindness in old age. The retina and cornea of your eye can be strengthened and protected with strawberries from the strong UV rays of the sun.
3) Fights Aging
Strawberries can help the aging process by fighting off free radicals and this can result in keeping things like blemishes, wrinkles and fine lines to a minimum. This will help your appearance so that you don’t look as old as you actually are. It’s nice to look younger.
One of the foods that is highest in antioxidants is strawberries. They are vital to your health because they keep your cells protected against diseases. It’s important to make sure your body gets plenty of antioxidants because they are the first army of defense in keeping your body healthy.
5) Bone Health
You want strong bones, don’t you? Of course you do and especially when you get older. It’s that much more important because of problems such as osteoporosis and other bone problems. Strawberries contain vitamin K, potassium, and magnesium that are very responsible for these protections.
6) Cancer Fighter
These awesome protective fruit has a flavonoid called quercetin that is widely know to kill off cancer cells in your body. So eating strawberries will make it possible to aid in preventing esophagus, skin, bladder, lung, and breast cancers. For this purpose it is best to buy organic strawberries.
You want to keep your energy levels up by eating foods such as these that are nutrient rich. You can boost your energy and feel that way all day long by the natural carbohydrates and sugars found in the fruit.
8) Fat Burner
They help to promote the burning of stored fat with anthocyanins. Strawberries also a help with weight loss through the nitrogen compound contained inside them that aids in the circulating of oxygen and flowing of blood in your body.
Check Out How to Lower Your Blood Sugar Below
9) Vitamin C
There are plenty of foods that contain vitamin C and most folks associate it with oranges. But the fact is that strawberries are a better choice when it comes to vitamin C. One cup of oranges has 70 mg of vitamin C while one cup of strawberries contains over 84 mg of vitamin C. They have a sweet taste and will help boost your immune system.
10) Blood Pressure
Keeping your blood pressure in the normal range is so important. Strawberries help to control your pressure with substantial amounts of magnesium and potassium that are responsible for lowering your hypertension that is brought on by high sodium intake.
11) Gout and Arthritis
You can wind up with accumulation of uric acid in your body and a decrease of mobility in your joints and these happen to be the main causes of gout and arthritis.
This is caused by those nasty free radicals that cause the degeneration of your tissues and your muscles. The anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants in strawberries work to address these issues.
12) Healthy Brain
What is important for maintaining the health of your nervous system are vitamin C, iodine, and phytochemicals. These are properties of strawberries and are also responsible for increasing blood flow to your brain and therefore improving cognitive function.
13) Asthma and Allergies
Having strawberries regularly can have benefits for lessening the severity and occurrence of asthma attacks. And the flavonoid quercetin is an anti-inflammatory property that can help relieve allergy symptoms such as watery eyes, runny nose, and hives.
14) Immune System
Your immune system is your defense against harmful viruses and bacteria that can lead to disease. The vitamin C in strawberries is an antioxidant that is extremely potent and neutralizes the free radicals and aids in strengthening your immune system.
Strawberries are loaded with the vitamin B folate which is extremely important for women trying to conceive or are pregnant. Folate is crucial for the prevention of some birth defects and it is also important for the development of a baby’s spinal cord, skull, and brain.
16) Hair Loss
Who would think that a fruit such as strawberries could help your hair with thinning and falling out? But it’s true that the vitamin B6 and folate can help with these problems.
17) Teeth Whitener
One property of strawberries is malic acid which is a natural enamel whitener. You can make your own by mashing up the fruit, mixing it with baking soda and then applying it to your teeth. No need to buy whitening strips when you can make your own paste!
18) Puffy Eyes
They can also aid with your puffy eyes. It’s easy and simple to just place two slices on your eyelids for ten minutes for a quick fix.
Possible Side Effects of Strawberries
Strawberries are fairly safe, but there can be some adverse effects to eating them. There can be allergies in children which is common. I know I had hives when I was a child but I seemed to “grow out” out it. There is an allergy causing protein that is linked to the red color anthocyanins. White strawberries seem to be better tolerated than red.
Some common symptoms include headaches, hives, (as I mentioned with me), tingling and or itching in your mouth, swelling of your face, throat, tongue, or lips and in extreme cases breathing problems. But generally there shouldn’t be an issue with consuming them. It’s better to be safe than sorry by talking to your doctor to see if they’re safe for you in particular.
The information that I provide on my website is purely based on my own personal experience and subsequent research into the diabetes disease. It is not intended to take the place of medical advice, diagnosis and treatment. Care and investigation should always be sought from an appropriate health care provider. I am happy to discuss my own symptoms, diagnosis and history of my diabetes disease but want to stress that I am not medically trained in any way. All opinions on my website are my own. I have created this site as a way to share information and experiences.
Why are strawberries good for diabetics? They are healthy for you and as long as you eat them in moderation, you’ll get the benefits without raising your blood sugars. Berries are fruits that have a low glycemic index and won’t raise your glucose levels. Strawberries should be a part of your diet especially if you have diabetes. Most fruits are healthy in moderation though.
As you can see they are helpful with also preventing type 2 diabetes and have numerous other health benefits for you so unless you do have an allergy to them, stock up and have at least three servings a week. Have them as snacks, on salads, and in smoothies. There’s no limit as to how you can incorporate them into your meal plans.
Check Out How to Lower Your Blood Sugar Below
- FAST RESULTS – Get results in as little as 5 seconds.
- NO CODING – Our monitors recognize batch codes encrypted on each test strip, so there is no need for you to manually insert any code with each new batch.
- HYGIENIC STRIP EJECTION – Our state-of-the-art monitoring system includes a single touch strip ejection, so you no longer have to worry about manually removing the soiled strip.
- MEMORY – Keep a survey of your health using the memory storage capable of saving up to 300 readings, while also keeping a continuous 14-day average.
- Care Touch Diabetes Testing Kit – Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter, 100 Blood Test Strips, 1 Lancing Device, 30 gauge Lancets-100 count and Carrying Case
- Scientifically formulated; great care was put into combining just the right amount of 20 different ingredients into a premium formula designed to support healthy blood sugar levels
- High potency; the unique combination in this blend is crafted to help support healthy glucose absorption and glucose production by your body; contains Gymnema, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Yarrow, Licorice, Cayenne, Banaba, Guggul, Bitter Melon, Juniper Berry, White Mulberry, L-Taurine & more
- One capsule twice a day, five benefits; (1) supports normal blood sugar levels; (2) supports weight loss and energy; (3) supports healthy sugar and carb absorption; (4) supports insulin levels; (5) supports heart health
- Reliable; made in a GMP certified facility in America and third party safety tested for purity
- Great value for money; 120 vegetarian capsules for a 60 days supply
- Excellent Accuracy: metene TD-4116 blood glucose meter and strips are produced with industry-leading chips and biosensor, equipped with industry-leading technologies, conducive to get accurate and reliable measurements
- No Coding: The blood sugar meter gets into measure status automatically once insert the blood sugar test strip to the bottom of the slot, easy to use and easy to read with large display for the senior
- Fast and Reduce Pain: This blood glucose monitor takes just 7s and 0.7µl blood to get the glucose value; The lancing device has 5 depth options to minimize wound and reduce pain
- Better Data Management: This glucometer stores the newest 450 blood glucose values and display the continuous 14/21/28/60/90 day average; the measurements could be exported with windows-based software; help you track and manage your blood glucose better
- Diabetes Testing Kit 207 Piece Set: 100 glucometer strips, 100 30G lancets, 1 blood sugar meter, 1 lancing device, 1 control solution, 2 batteries, 1 protective wallet and 1 user manual; Please feel free to contact us if any problem when using this Diabetes testing kit
- Support cardiovascular health & blood sugar levels with the PurePremium blood sugar support dietary supplement, which contains essential vitamins, minerals and herbs.
- Support healthy glucose metabolism by adding our all-natural heart health supplement to your diet. Our advanced cardiovascular support capsules contain cinnamon, mulberry, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium, zinc, licorice root extract and manganese.
- Support blood cholesterol levels and make sure that your heart is healthy and strong. Support healthy insulin function and bolster your immune system against harmful free radicals.
- Our easy-to-swallow capsules support healthy glucose levels and your metabolism at the same time.
- Formulated in the USA. Every PurePremium product comes from an inspected, and GMP certified facility right here in the USA.
- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. Insufficient blood applied to test strip will result in wrong readings. Please hold the lancing device firmly against your fingertip for enough sample. Watch our instructional videos in our listings to optimize your testing results. Our friendly customer support will always be here to answer your questions and help to resolve your concerns. (30 Day Money Back Guarantee)
- EXCEEDS INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. AUVON BGMs can function within ±10%, or ±10 mg/dl of laboratory values over 95% of the time, which is far beyond ISO 15197:2013 passing standard (within ±15% or ±15 mg/dl). The manufacturer is certified with CE mark, GMP, ISO 13485:2016, and ISO 15197:2013 without having any recall on the market in the past 14 years.
- CUTTING-EDGE TEST STRIPS. We use cutting-edge test strips enzymes for blood glucose measurements. Our test strips are produced with unique Automatic Carbon Printing Technique to ensure that the quality of each batch of strips could be relevantly much more stable, precise and accurate. Additionally, PROMISED 0.15USD/pcs would keep you no pressure to repurchase.
- KEEP TRACK OF DATA. Store your test results with time and date helps you track and manage your health while also keeping a continuous 7/14/30 average results. Automatic off means our device works longer without having to worry about wasting battery life.
- ALL IN ONE: 1 x AUVON DS-W Blood Glucose Monitor, 1 x battery, 50 x Blood Test Strips, 50 x 30 gauge Lancets, 1 x Lancing device, 1 x Meter User Guide, 1 x Test Strip User Guide, Our Exclusive Lifetime Warranty and Technical Support and Friendly Customer Service.
Last update on 2021-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API